[dsc] Introducing DSC DataTool

Jerry Lundström jerry at dns-oarc.net
Fri Jun 17 15:30:03 UTC 2016

Greetings,

A while ago I started looking into using Grafana for presenting DSC data
[1] and this week I had the time to re-factor my "hack" to become more
of a general tool for doing things with the DSC data.

    https://github.com/DNS-OARC/dsc-datatool

This tool is written in Perl and will have input modules that reads data
from various sources and converts it into Dataset objects [2] which then
get passed to the output modules.

As a start I will write input modules for the current XML, JSON and
extracted DAT formats and for output focus will be for Carbon and
InfluxDB which Grafana can read from.

In the future there is also a possibility to add a transformation layer
that could for example merge/aggregate multiple nodes or change the
metrics from 1 minute interval to 5 (or whatever you want).

Please note that nothing is really working yet but I am hopeful to get
things working next week and you can follow the progress on GitHub and a
test site I have put up for this.

    https://dev.dns-oarc.net/dsc-grafana/

Stay tuned, more to come!

Have a great weekend,