[dnscap-users] DNSCAP release 1.2.0

Jerry Lundström jerry at dns-oarc.net
Thu Oct 27 14:46:55 UTC 2016

Hi all,

This is release 1.2.0 of DNSCAP.

    https://www.dns-oarc.net/files/dnscap/dnscap-1.2.0.tar.gz
    2d73c0f4d5bd8e7781859f1c5ca445affdc20d150d24358592633e682a7e60d5

Update `pcap-thread` to v1.2.0 to get the new callback queue mode which
puts that mode into using pthread conditions if all pcaps are offline
and keeps us from losing packets.

Use `pcap_thread_dropback()` callback to get the notification when a
packet was dropped because the queue was full, indicating that we can't
process all the packets.  Added this stats to the `-S` output as total
and per interface as `ptdrop`.  Changed the output for each interface to
not cut of information, for example interface name was cut to 4 characters.

Other changes:
- Add extended options `-o <option>=<value>` because we are running out
  of short options.
- Better handling of library checks and automake rules
- New option `-F <format>` to specify the format of the output in `-w`
- Add experimental CBOR output support
  - LDNS is used to parse the packets
  - Tinycbor is used to construct the CBOR output
  - DNS-in-JSON draft [1] for representing the objects
  - Check CBOR topic in README.md for more information
- When only reading offline pcap files it will not attempt to drop
  privileges and add new option `-N` to explicitly not drop privileges.

Commits:

f42e23f Extended options and CBOR output format
a28f498 Fix #24: Handle packet drops
2308eaa Fix #26: Unable to drop GID to nobody, exiting.
82d65f2 Update pcap-thread to v1.1.2

Cheers,
Jerry

[1] https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-hoffman-dns-in-json/