[dns-operations] Survey of How to Solving DNS Errors

Peter Thomassen peter at desec.io
Fri Aug 16 14:11:58 UTC 2024

Hi,

Thank you for your response and explanations.

I still disagree with the characterization of NXDOMAIN as a resolution error. That's like characterizing a red street light as a driving error.

I seems worthwhile to assess the prevalence of NXDOMAIN outcomes, but I believe it's better to do this by asking how frequency what kinds of resolution *outcomes* are observed, and one outcome would be NXDOMAIN, another would be errors (timeouts, SERVFAIL, ...).

At the very least, a definition of "resolution errors" would have to be given before asking the questions.

If the study remains as is, my expectation is that insights will be biased and/or limited, and you should expect them to be strongly criticized. Thanks for inviting again to participate, but I don't feel comfortable with it at this point.

Best,
Peter

--
Like our community service? 💛
Please consider donating at

https://desec.io/

deSEC e.V.
Kyffhäuserstr. 5
10781 Berlin
Germany

Vorstandsvorsitz: Nils Wisiol
Registergericht: AG Berlin (Charlottenburg) VR 37525