[dns-operations] Survey of How to Solving DNS Errors

Ralf Weber dns at fl1ger.de
Thu Aug 15 09:25:46 UTC 2024

Moin!

On 14 Aug 2024, at 17:27, Xiang Li wrote:
> We are a research team from Tsinghua University and Nankai University. Your
> participation is greatly appreciated and will significantly contribute to
> our research.
>
> Recently, we are conducting a study on DNS resolution errors to understand
> their occurrence, impact, and how you address these issues. Your
> participation will provide valuable data and insights for our research.

I’m not sure what data you want to get out of that research, but IMHO it is
upfront missing a definition of what a resolution error is.

One could infer from the survey that you mean anything that does not have
the result code NOERROR, but don’t think that is a good measurement as:
- NOERROR/NODATA could also be an resolution error for the the end user.
- NXDOMAIN and other result codes are normal part of operating DNS and
  normally nothing to worry about.
I just logged in to a random server that is doing tens of thousands of
requests per second and it had 15% NXDomain queries 1% SERVFAIL and REFUSED
and 0.1% FORMERR and that is a typical RCODE distribution, and it would
be impossible to follow and investigate all of them.

So long
-Ralf
——-
Ralf Weber