[dns-operations] New addresses for b.root-servers.net

Manu Bretelle chantr4 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 2 18:05:12 UTC 2023

On Fri, Jun 2, 2023 at 10:06 AM Dave Knight <dave at knig.ht> wrote:

> On Jun 2, 2023, at 12:33 PM, Manu Bretelle <chantr4 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Thanks Robert,
>
> On Tue, May 30, 2023 at 9:35 AM Robert Story <rstory at ant.isi.edu> wrote:
>

>> USC/ISI is renumbering both its IPv4 and IPv6 addresses for
>> b.root-servers.net on 2023-11-27. Our new IPv4 address will be
>> 170.247.170.2 and our new IPv6 address will be 2801:1b8:10::b.
>

> It seems those are live and ready to use, but I did not see in the
> announcement that people could start updating their root zone before
> 2023-11-27 and be sure to receive the same service level than with the old
> addresses.
>
> Could you clarify that those are indeed good to go and there is no need to
> wait for the renumbering date to update root.hints?
> Would it be worth clarifying this on the LACNIC announcement?
>

> Aiui BIND9 uses the root.hints just once on receipt of the first query
> when starting with an empty cache, whereupon it will use the hints to find
> a root server to do a priming query, replacing the hints with the result of
> that. Given the infrequency of root nameserver renumbering events and the
> long period of dual operation they usually observe it's probably reasonable
> to allow root hints to be updated in the natural cadence of package
> updates.

For BIND9 and Unbound, the binary already has the root hints baked in, so
> maintaining hints in a static file which may not get updated with the
> package may be doing slightly more harm than good. All that to say,
> operators who are keeping their nameserver software up to date probably
> don't need to rush to update root hints and may do better to remove the
> static file entirely.

Totally agree with your here, but reality is that there is still a ton of
use cases that software may be using a static file to get started with and
the value to handle root.hints update properly is not worth the investment.

Manu