[dns-operations] Browser Public suffixes list

Peter Thomassen peter at desec.io
Fri Aug 26 14:51:03 UTC 2022

Hi Meir,

On 8/26/22 06:38, Meir Kraushar via dns-operations wrote:
> We are about to go public with a new IDN ccTLD in Hebrew, being xn--4dbrk0ce.
> We have done the procedure of updating Mozilla PSL, also merged the list into chromium. But as far as how Safari browser behaves, we are totally in the dark.
> How to to reach out to any Apple staff, or crate an update request?
> Any help will be much appreciated.

As per the PSL algorithm [1], there is a rule "*" that matches the top level, so that all TLDs automatically qualify as Public Suffixes.

You can verify this by entering "example.xn--4dbrk0ce" into the form at [2].

Given that, it does not seem necessary to make sure that browsers include new TLDs explicitly. Are you encountering a problem due to the lack of inclusion in the PSL, or are you merely trying to get it included for completeness?

[1]: https://github.com/publicsuffix/list/wiki/Format#algorithm
[2]: https://publicsuffix.zone/

> Also, out of curiosity.. if anyone knows why the mess? Why evey browser needs attention, rather than relaying on the IANA tld list?

That's because there are public suffixes that are operated by other entities [3]. For example, s3.amazonaws.com is a public suffix. There is a significant number of them (just take a look at the raw PSL file on GitHub).

[3]: https://github.com/publicsuffix/list/wiki/Format#divisions

HTH,
Peter

--