[dns-operations] Flag Day’s Resolver Tester: reports all my netblocks wrong

Jerry Lundström jerry at dns-oarc.net
Mon Sep 14 06:54:49 UTC 2020

Hi Pirawat,

On 2020-09-11 16:23, Pirawat WATANAPONGSE wrote:
> The new Resolver Tester for this year Flag Day reports all my netblocks
> wrong [Reference:
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gIf-BFXpBBu7Y03VbJbtpc5p2REOkoLC/view?usp=sharing
> ]

The screenshot is from Check My DNS, which is not related to DNS Flag Day.

The DNS Flag Day 2020 page uses a special domain on Check My DNS that
truncates all UDP requests so that the DNS Flag Day 2020 tester can
check if the request is retransmitted over TCP.

> My 158.108.0.0/16 was already (historically) transferred to APNIC
> [Reference: https://bgp.he.net/net/158.108.0.0/16#_whois]
> and my 2406:3100::/32 is registered directly with APNIC right from the
> start [Reference: https://bgp.he.net/net/2406:3100::/32#_whois]

Check My DNS uses standard WHOIS querying based on prefixes from IANA
and caches the information for a day or so.

158/8 still points at ARIN and the query for 158.108.213.5 will return a
referral to APNIC.

But Check My DNS does not support referrals (yet).

> Obviously, I have to assume that I did make mistake(s). But where and why?
> Please tell me how to fix it.

There are no mistakes, once I have time to add referral support to Check
My DNS it will show the correct information.

Cheers,
Jerry