[dns-operations] Weird problem with domain after being suspended for failed renewal

Doug McIntyre merlyn at geeks.org
Sun Oct 4 20:08:55 UTC 2020

On Sun, Oct 04, 2020 at 01:44:57PM -0600, Brielle wrote:
> I got it paid, domain registration restored.  During suspension, they
> set the domains to their own name servers, so it fouled up DNS
> resolution for an hour or two after fixed.

Typically, I see expired domains set to their own nameservers with a
2d TTL, so the half-life of a cached entry is going to be 24h, not just
a few hours..

> https://dnschecker.org/#A/mail.sosdg.org

But anyway, of my resolvers that I run, with a TTL of 172817s on the
wrong entry; the reporting ns for the wrong info claims the
authoritative servers for sosdg.org are ns[123].dnsowl.com.

Those authoritative nameservers are reporting with AA on sosdg.org,
and with the information that you say is old and cold.

I'm guessing that you used them at one point in the past, and during
the deactivation/reactivation process of your registrar, that they let
some authoritative entries out to be cached that claim authoritative
for your domain is still ns[123].dnsowl.com.

It looks like afilias's .org GTLD servers all point your domain to your
own nameservs at this time.