[dns-operations] Weird problem with domain after being suspended for failed renewal

Brielle bruns at 2mbit.com
Sun Oct 4 20:26:10 UTC 2020

On 10/4/2020 2:08 PM, Doug McIntyre wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 04, 2020 at 01:44:57PM -0600, Brielle wrote:
>> I got it paid, domain registration restored.  During suspension, they
>> set the domains to their own name servers, so it fouled up DNS
>> resolution for an hour or two after fixed.
>
> Typically, I see expired domains set to their own nameservers with a
> 2d TTL, so the half-life of a cached entry is going to be 24h, not just
> a few hours..

Yeah, I was just thinking back to a situation I was dealing with a few
weeks ago and remembered it can take up to 24 hours usually to undo that
kind of mess.

Sigh.

> I'm guessing that you used them at one point in the past, and during
> the deactivation/reactivation process of your registrar, that they let
> some authoritative entries out to be cached that claim authoritative
> for your domain is still ns[123].dnsowl.com.

And this is why I came to you guys.  I didn't even consider that they
would still be handing out auth data from that long ago.  I had to use
them like 5-6 years ago iirc when I was moving stuff out of the data
center back to Boise.

*grumbles*

If you are ever in my area, hit me up, I owe you a drink of your choice.

--
Brielle Bruns
http://www.sosdg.org    /     http://www.ahbl.org