[dns-operations] Weird problem with domain after being suspended for failed renewal
bruns at 2mbit.com
Sun Oct 4 19:44:57 UTC 2020
Normally, I am usually able to track down these kinds of problems on my
own, but I've hit a situation I can't figure out or explain, and could
use a few extra pair of eyes and some insight that you all may have.
Domain sosdg.org got suspended this morning because a few days ago,
NameSilo tried to charge a card I no longer have active. The way
NameSilo handles failed CC charges and auto renewal is stupid, but
that's a discussion for another day.
I got it paid, domain registration restored. During suspension, they
set the domains to their own name servers, so it fouled up DNS
resolution for an hour or two after fixed.
In the process of watching DNS start working again, I'm noticing that
the A record for 'mail.sosdg.org' is resolving occasionally to an IP
address I haven't used in several years (188.8.131.52) instead of what
it should be, 184.108.40.206.
Verified that all three of my auth name servers have correct A records
and are responding as expected. Checked glue records at NameSilo,
nothing there that could be causing an issue.
A quick check at one of the sites that queries multiple DNS resolvers shows:
I was even seeing the incorrect DNS A records on 220.127.116.11.
So, I've got zero clue where random name servers on the internet may be
picking up this very old A record from.
So, wise DNS admins of this list, I would like to hear your thoughts.
Thanks ahead of time!
The Summit Open Source Development Group
http://www.sosdg.org / http://www.ahbl.org
More information about the dns-operations