[dns-operations] Monitoring for impending expiration of domains?

Jaap Akkerhuis jaap at NLnetLabs.nl
Sun Dec 13 09:48:18 UTC 2020

 Patrik Fältström via dns-operations writes:

 > On 13 Dec 2020, at 5:26, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:
 >
 > > So my question to the list is, what can or should be done to help domain
 > owners avoid a similar fate?
 >
 > As it is today: You use a registrar that ensure your domain name never
 > expires. If you have a good registrar, you simply buy that as a service,
 > and you are fine.
 >
 > People that "just get a registrar" from the shelf, believe all are equal,
 > and get the one that is the cheapest, they end up having problems like
 > these.
 >
 > This is *exactly* one thing that differs between the services registrars
 > give to their customers.

Note that, as far as I know, NL registry uses a "sunscribtion" model
so domains never "just" expired.

So Voktor probably saw some outage of netfilter.nl (it is up now).

	jaap