[dns-operations] New OARC Chat Platform

Paul Ebersman list-dns-operations at dragon.net
Tue Aug 25 16:10:13 UTC 2020

warren> We've often discussed if the tools are useful / doing what we
warren> want. My concern with this is that it requires yet another app
warren> installed for people to communicate;

I'm one of the first to bitch about this when I have to install yet
another app.

However, mattermost works fine in a browser, no app required. I was on
firefox for the last OARC virtual meeting and had no issues with that
method.

dougb> I ask because OARC is taking on a lot, and from my naive and
dougb> distant view seems to have developed a bit of NIH
dougb> syndrome. Looking at the migration of dnsviz for example, it's
dougb> not clear to me why OARC volunteered to take that project on
dougb> without adequate resourcing. And subsequently it wasn't clear why
dougb> cloud solutions weren't utilized, which I imagine could have been
dougb> cheaper, and faster. To my knowledge the historical data is still
dougb> missing, is that correct?

I'd guess you're not a member and don't get the detailed breakdown of
this in the member reports? Short version is that many of the decisions
(including why cloud frequently isn't an option) boil down to member
survey responses and restrictions in the data sharing agreements.

Keith and the OARC staff evaluate choices based on these restrictions
and then solicit member input before making final decisions.

What you are seeing is not unilateral decisions by the staff but the
staff implementing membership wishes.