[dns-operations] glitch on [ip6|in-addr].arpa?

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Thu Oct 10 14:39:19 UTC 2019

On Thu, Oct 10, 2019 at 5:12 AM Matthew Pounsett <matt at conundrum.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Oct 2019 at 22:57, Viktor Dukhovni <ietf-dane at dukhovni.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Oct 09, 2019 at 05:41:43PM -0400, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:
>>
>> > No, even small responses receive no answers from the IPv6 addresses
>> > of the C and F roots.  Both of the below time out even though I'm
>> > not setting the "DO" bit:
>> >
>> >     $ dig -6 +norecur -t soa arpa. @2001:500:2f::f
>> >     $ dig -6 +norecur -t soa arpa. @2001:500:2::c
>> >
>> > Looks like an outage from my vantage point.
>

> I can't speak to the reachability of F from that vantage point, but Cogent has famously refused to peer over v6 with HE, which is why they're unreachable from OARC (and therefore DNSViz) and lots of other places on the Internet.

I must admit I'm feeling really stupid here, but I feel like I'm
missing something. Yes, Cogent might not peer with HE over v6, but I'm
trying to understand the failure mode -- I also (not famously at all!)
don't peer with Cogent over both v4 **and** v6 -- and yet, I can still
send and receive packets to them. I also don't peer with "E-Gate
Communications Inc., CA", which announces 67.215.196.35
(ns1.conundrum.com), and yet I can resolve conundrum.com.

The lack of peering with a network doesn't prevent my accessing them,
it just means that my packets take a sub-optimal[0] route.
The above doesn't look like that at all, it looks like $something else
(like dropped fragments), which is completely different to not
peering[1].

I feel like I haven't had my morning coffee, and am missing something
wildly obvious here -- please, what it is?
[0]: Well, sub-optimal in terms of number of AS's, not necessarily in
terms of congestion, latency, reliability, geography, etc.
[1]: I guess you could make the argument that if the peering existed,
packets are less likely to take tunnels / paths with small MTU /
broken pMTUD, etc, but that's a different argument...