[dns-operations] Custom DNS server as backend for authoritative DNS server

Mark E. Jeftovic markjr at easydns.com
Fri Mar 15 02:52:31 UTC 2019

You can do what you want with PowerDNS.

You would specify your backend first, then the normal backend (i.e.
bind). Any query that doesn't garner a response from your backend will
fall through to the next one.

https://doc.powerdns.com/authoritative/backends/pipe.html

or more recent

https://doc.powerdns.com/authoritative/backends/remote.html

- mark

On 2019-03-14 9:41 PM, Casey Deccio wrote:

>> On Mar 14, 2019, at 6:15 PM, Mark E. Jeftovic <markjr at easydns.com
>> <mailto:markjr at easydns.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Off the top of my head, put it behind dnsdist or make it a Powerdns
>> backend
>>

> Thanks for the ideas.  Earlier today I glanced through the dnsdist
> docs and saw some rules for balancing based on IP addresses.  It
> wasn't immediately clear how I might determine backend IP (and port?)
> based on query name, but someone else suggested off-list that it was
> possible.  I suppose I might need to spend some time looking through
> the docs and finding some solid examples.
>
> I also looked have looked at PowerDNS for specifying a DNS server
> backend, but again it wasn't clear to me from reading through the docs
> if that was possible.  The BIND backend, for example, seems to use a
> BIND configuration file, but doesn't actually query a BIND (or other
> server) backend.
>
> I also looked at using LUA records, but I'm generating TXT records
> based on the query name, and I also wasn't sure if that was possible
> with the PowerDNS/LUA, at least it wasn't clear from the examples.
>
> Thanks,
> Casey

Mark E. Jeftovic <markjr at easydns.com>
Co-founder & CEO, easyDNS Technologies Inc.
/Author of Managing Mission Critical Domains & DNS: The Book
<https://easydns.com/blog/2018/07/18/new-book-managing-mission-critical-domains-dns/>/
/Personal Blog: Guerrilla-Capitalism.com <https://guerrilla-capitalism.com>/