[dns-operations] Custom DNS server as backend for authoritative DNS server

Casey Deccio casey at deccio.net
Fri Mar 15 01:41:52 UTC 2019

> On Mar 14, 2019, at 6:15 PM, Mark E. Jeftovic <markjr at easydns.com> wrote:
>
> Off the top of my head, put it behind dnsdist or make it a Powerdns backend

Thanks for the ideas.  Earlier today I glanced through the dnsdist docs and saw some rules for balancing based on IP addresses.  It wasn't immediately clear how I might determine backend IP (and port?) based on query name, but someone else suggested off-list that it was possible.  I suppose I might need to spend some time looking through the docs and finding some solid examples.

I also looked have looked at PowerDNS for specifying a DNS server backend, but again it wasn't clear to me from reading through the docs if that was possible.  The BIND backend, for example, seems to use a BIND configuration file, but doesn't actually query a BIND (or other server) backend.

I also looked at using LUA records, but I'm generating TXT records based on the query name, and I also wasn't sure if that was possible with the PowerDNS/LUA, at least it wasn't clear from the examples.

Thanks,
Casey