[dns-operations] Custom DNS server as backend for authoritative DNS server

Wed Mar 20 18:51:14 UTC 2019

Am 15.03.2019 um 03:52 schrieb Mark E. Jeftovic:

> You can do what you want with PowerDNS.
>
> You would specify your backend first, then the normal backend (i.e.
> bind). Any query that doesn't garner a response from your backend will
> fall through to the next one.

Almost. PowerDNS will query every backend first to find the one with the
best matching zone.

E.g. first backend has example.com zone. Second backend not, and also no
more-specific. Then there is an incoming query for www.example.com.

PDNS will ask the first backend for www.example.com. It will receive "no
zone". Then it will ask for "example.com" --> The backend returns "match"(*)

Now PDNS will ask the second backend for www.example.com. It will
receive "no zone". Here PowerDNS will break and use the first backend as
"best match".

regards

Klaus

* if the backend is smart it could return "example.com" on the first
query for "www.example.com" as best match.