[dns-operations] Help for DNS queries in webservice

Mark Milhollan mlm at pixelgate.net
Mon Aug 5 22:16:32 UTC 2019

On Mon, 5 Aug 2019, Paulina wrote:

>We have a mp2 handler which make a lot of DNS queries during its running time.
>Some queris are sent to the strange domains such as .live, .club, .design,
>.media, .digital, .market etc.

>Unlike the popular domains such as .com, .net, .org etc, which have solid DNS
>servers and powerful networks for queries. Those small TLDs have poor networks
>for DNS queries I may think. Thre are a lot of timeout in the logs.

I would suggest you do nothing differently (see below) even if they were
poor networks, which the new gTLD process endeavours to keep from
happening, i.e., each submitted some proofs they would be professionally
run and reliable.

>I have been using Net::DNS::Resolver for DNS queries in handler. Can you
>suggest a better way to improve it? maybe AnyEvent::DNS etc?

NDR is synchronous unless you using forks or threads for each query
where AED is natively asynchronous.  Asynchronous is useful these days
what with people fetching/referencing dozens of things all too often
using different (domain) names.

/mark