[dns-operations] Help for DNS queries in webservice

m3047 m3047 at m3047.net
Mon Aug 5 16:23:54 UTC 2019

I am assuming "mp2" => "mod perl". I would hope, but I must ask: you're
not making so many DNS queries you're getting rate limited, are you?

Need more facts. The facts that I can discern are:

1) Domains like .live, .club, .design, .media, ... are problematic
compared to .com, .net, .org...

2) There are timeouts in the logs.

What causes the timeouts? Is it linked to behavior on your end? The more
you know about your own app's behavior, the more clarity you'll have on
your choice of mitigations. Look for patterns of queries, times of day,
other load on (your) network, etc. If necessary write some code to improve
this insight.

There are essentially two and a half patterns available to you for
performing multiple synchronous (request + response) actions
simultaneously: threading, event loop (select), forking. Forking doesn't
really solve the problem but you can probably figure out a way to fork off
multiple requests and then make a second pass to reap the responses.

I've never liked Perl threading. What about writing a standalone "DNS
lookup service"? You could even make this a web service, and call it from
your current web service or have the browser do it (ajax). Another flavor
of this would be to write the requests to some sort of queueing system
with a bunch of service workers and then pick up job results when they're
ready (Redis, or two pub-sub channels (many web service workers -> many
DNS service workers for requests, one web service worker <- many DNS
service workers for responses).

Unless you need authoritative responses, do you run a caching DNS resolver
(DNS server) and issue queries against that?

--

Fred Morris