[dns-operations] Some DNSSEC adoption data points, anyone know of more comprehensive surveys?

Rubens Kuhl rubensk at nic.br
Tue May 1 21:29:15 UTC 2018

> On 1 May 2018, at 17:48, Viktor Dukhovni <ietf-dane at dukhovni.org> wrote:
>

>> On May 1, 2018, at 4:25 PM, Grant Taylor <gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net> wrote:
>>
>> I wonder if it would be possible to approach TLD operators or and get a copy of zone data (even if it was an old point in time) for research / educational purposes.
>>
>> I'm fairly certain that some TLDs do offer such services.
>
> Occasionally possible, but more often not.  I expect the first success
> some time this month, and I'll try to revive a stalled effort at another
> that thought it might be possible.  Two large ccTLDs have recently said
> "no".

If .br was not one of the two, add .br to the "no" column...

> Not many are willing to convince their lawyers to make an exception, if
> one is even possible under the applicable regulatory regime.
>
> It is interesting that even with the looming GDPR, France is able to
> provide 30-day-old data for unrestricted download and .SE provides
> fresh data, while others are unable to provide either fresh or stale
> data.  There are perhaps contractual constraints with existing
> registrants, and/or country-specific laws...

Or concerns with WHOIS harvesting.

> So for ccTLDs I mostly make do with secondary (partial) sources.
> Coverage various, I now have around 75% or .NO DNSSEC domains,
> but only 25% of .BR.

Of secondary sources,  http://hostcenter.com.br/ <http://hostcenter.com.br/> managed to get 67% of the full .br zone, and at least 340k domains that are surely DNSSEC-signed. So it's possible to use imaginative ways to increase coverage when zone files are not available...

Rubens