[dns-operations] Some DNSSEC adoption data points, anyone know of more comprehensive surveys?

Viktor Dukhovni ietf-dane at dukhovni.org
Tue May 1 22:23:40 UTC 2018

> On May 1, 2018, at 5:29 PM, Rubens Kuhl <rubensk at nic.br> wrote:
>
>> It is interesting that even with the looming GDPR, France is able to
>> provide 30-day-old data for unrestricted download and .SE provides
>> fresh data, while others are unable to provide either fresh or stale
>> data.  There are perhaps contractual constraints with existing
>> registrants, and/or country-specific laws...
>
> Or concerns with WHOIS harvesting.

If that were my only concern, I'd focus on rate-limiting WHOIS,
and still admit reasonable requests for zone file access when
presented with evidence of a legitimate use-case.  I am guessing
there are more reasons than just that... :-(

Overall I have 1,173,206 .br domain names of which 239,412 or
20.4% return a validated answer (perhaps NODATA) for MX lookups.

Frederico reports 1,044,645/3,959,979 or 26.3% DNSSEC/TOTAL, so my
present dataset appears to under-sample the signed domains.  The
relevant suffixes are mostly:

1079739 .com.br
  21925 .org.br
  16640 .ba.gov.br