[dns-operations] Some DNSSEC adoption data points, anyone know of more comprehensive surveys?

Viktor Dukhovni ietf-dane at dukhovni.org
Tue May 1 20:48:32 UTC 2018

> On May 1, 2018, at 4:25 PM, Grant Taylor <gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net> wrote:
>
> I wonder if it would be possible to approach TLD operators or and get a copy of zone data (even if it was an old point in time) for research / educational purposes.
>
> I'm fairly certain that some TLDs do offer such services.

Occasionally possible, but more often not.  I expect the first success
some time this month, and I'll try to revive a stalled effort at another
that thought it might be possible.  Two large ccTLDs have recently said
"no".

Not many are willing to convince their lawyers to make an exception, if
one is even possible under the applicable regulatory regime.

It is interesting that even with the looming GDPR, France is able to
provide 30-day-old data for unrestricted download and .SE provides
fresh data, while others are unable to provide either fresh or stale
data.  There are perhaps contractual constraints with existing
registrants, and/or country-specific laws...

So for ccTLDs I mostly make do with secondary (partial) sources.
Coverage various, I now have around 75% or .NO DNSSEC domains,
but only 25% of .BR.

--
	Viktor.