[dns-operations] anti-business hippies (Re: the real reason for ICANN's gTLD expansion seems to be...)

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Wed Jan 3 20:44:05 UTC 2018

The "Statistical Analysis of DNS Abuse in gTLDs" report makes for
interesting reading --
https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/sadag-final-09aug17-en.pdf
 While it was commissioned by the ICANN Competition, Consumer Trust
and Consumer Choice Review Team (CCTRT), many of the authors are well
known to us and good folk.
One of the more relevant findings (to this conversation) is "We find
that the new gTLDs have impacted spam counts of the legacy gTLDs:
abused domains in the new gTLDs do not increase the number of total
malicious registrations but instead, we observe a decrease in the
number of malicious registrations in legacy gTLDs." (mainly the bit
about total malicious registrations).

Some of the comments are also interesting
(https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/comments-sadag-final-09aug17/)[0]

[0]: Full disclosure: I contributed to some comments.