[dns-operations] anti-business hippies (Re: the real reason for ICANN's gTLD expansion seems to be...)

Matt Larson matt at kahlerlarson.org
Wed Jan 3 17:31:59 UTC 2018

> On Jan 3, 2018, at 3:41 AM, Kevin Murphy <kevin at domainincite.com> wrote:
>
> Has the amount of abuse on the internet gone up since the introduction
> of new gTLDs? There must be data on this.

"Abuse" is a broad category and it's hard to give a concise answer. A high-level answer is that the availability of cheap domains with frictionless registration tends to lead to abuse, and these can be found among all TLD categories, not just the new gTLDs.

As it happens, ICANN's Office of the CTO has developed the Domain Abuse Activity Reporting (DAAR) tool to answer this question (among others). Broadly, the tool aggregates data from various reputation providers, e.g., various RBLs. The project web site is https://www.icann.org/octo-ssr/daar and the most recent presentation, including some statistics starting on slide 18, is https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/presentation-daar-31oct17-en.pdf. We only have a year of data in DAAR, which isn't enough to give a good answer to your question.

Matt