[dns-operations] Yeti-DNS confusion and clarification

Paul Vixie vixie at fsi.io
Mon Dec 4 15:20:36 UTC 2017

today, the farsight security support team received the following inquiry:

> <start>
>
> To whom it may concern,
> Please transfer this email to Dr. vixie, the Chairmann&  CEO
>
> Dear  Dr. vixie ,
>
> While doing IPv6 transition, we were noted that the Yeti DNS Project has globally launched 25 IPv6 root servers, in which 4 are in China.  In addition, it announced that the Yeti DNS Project constructs global IPv6-based  root name servers in order to demonstrate a new type of capability in root servers for IPv6 applications.
>
> We understood that the Yeti DNS Project was started in June 2015, which is as a Live IPv6-only Root DNS Server System Testbed.  Now, we are confused and surprised that it serves as IPv6-based root name servers globally.
>
> We read your article:<A1><B1>  Let Me Make Yeti-DNS Perfectly Clear<A1><B1>  dated on March 30 2016 in CircleID.  Please confirm if the announcement of IPv6-based root servers is valid, and if the<A1><B0>root name<A1><B1>  is formally authorized by ICANN?
>
> Thanks for your validation.
>
> Xiaohu
>
> <end>

because it concerned non-farsight business, it was assigned to me for
response. i answered it as follows:

> Noting that yeti-dns is not a Farsight activity, I am answering as an
> individual network scientist, and not as the CEO and Chairman of Farsight.
>
> Yeti-DNS is a non-production network testbed. Any announcement to the
> contrary is mistaken or false. Yeti-DNS should not be used outside of
> test labs. We run experiments on it constantly.
>
> If you have any other questions about Yeti-DNS, please address them to
> coordinators at yeti-dns.net. I will instruct the Farsight staff to
> ignore any future inquiries on this topic.

let me make, again, yeti-dns perfectly clear:

http://www.circleid.com/posts/20160330_let_me_make_yeti_dns_perfectly_clear/

greetings from wu zhen, all.

--
P Vixie