[dns-operations] TLDs allowing zone transfers

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Sun Sep 25 20:52:30 UTC 2016

GSA also publishes the entire .GOV contents periodically.  I'd
prefer it as a axfr so I don't have to take the Alexa to 1M and
merge the .GOV zones from there to get a almost up to date list to
generate the EDNS compliance report for the full GOV zone.

https://ednscomp.isc.org/compliance/gov-full-report.html

If/when GoDaddy, Microsoft (Azure) and Amazon fix their servers a
lot of the broken EDNS will go away world wide.  Amazon have stopped
blocking EDNS version 1 traffic but the still news to correctly
respond to EDNS version 1 queries.

If a server is echoing a EDNS option it is a good chance that it
is hosted my Microsoft.

If a server is echoing EDNS flags it is a good chance that it is
hosted by GoDaddy.

If you want to know who will stuff up future deployment of EDNS
extensions unless they fix their servers look above.  It really
isn't hard to fix these servers.  10 minutes of work to fix the
code + QA then rollout is all that is needed.

There are big DNS hosters that have EDNS compliant servers.  Cloudflare
asked "do you see anything wrong?" and fixed the issues overnight,
then came back and asked again.

Mark