[dns-operations] Alternatives to ldns-verify-zone

Benno Overeinder benno at NLnetLabs.nl
Fri Sep 23 08:24:01 UTC 2016

Hi all,

On 23/09/16 03:05, Paul Wouters wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Sep 2016, Matthew Pounsett wrote:
>
>> There also happen to be 33 bugs currently open against ldns, most of
>> which are still marked as "new" (not yet assigned to anyone to fix).
>> The earliest of these is from 2012, but most
>> seem to be in the 2014 to 2015 range.  ldns looks abandoned; I don't
>> see any reason anyone looking at the NLNet pages would assume otherwise.
>
> http://git.nlnetlabs.nl/ldns/log/?h=develop
>
> Last commit 3 weeks ago, so I wouldn't call it abandoned. But now that
> unbound and getdns are not using ldns anymore, it has lost some of its
> activity. But adding 5 new RR types is something a lot of people on
> this list could do :P

Indeed, there was not much activity in ldns development, however ...

In the past two years, quite some work has gone into getdns, and many of
the ideas were actually also implemented in/moved into ldns 2.0
development (not publicly available yet).  The current ldns library is
certainly not abandoned software, but yes, we could have updated ldns
with new RR types, and also work on the bug database.

NLnet Labs considers ldns (and ldns 2.0) to be an important library and
tool for developers and network engineers, and certainly maintain and
support this for the community.

Best,

-- Benno

--