[dns-operations] Adding CNAME for the root domain issue

Daniel Kalchev daniel at digsys.bg
Wed May 4 15:16:33 UTC 2016

This is not an UI issue at all. It is actually an issue of bending under pressure. “users are always right” is an easy excuse, but never the best. Users do what is possible.

The SRV records essentially solve the same issue. But for SRV to be successful, the DNS protocol should be more strict.
If we would not allow for say, A records at the apex, then people would use SRV instead. Of course, it is too late to disallow A records at the apex — as everyone is convinced by now, that DNS is supposed to work that way.

I know, I know… it is appropriate to use EXAMPLE.COM <http://example.com/> as name server name, “because the glue is already there”….

Daniel