[dns-operations] Adding CNAME for the root domain issue

John R Levine johnl at taugh.com
Wed May 4 15:32:47 UTC 2016

> This is not an UI issue at all. It is actually an issue of bending under pressure. “users are always right” is an easy excuse, but never the best. Users do what is possible.

No, users are always wrong.  But they will do what they do, and a sensible
designer builds designs that users can use in a reasonable way.  When we
demand that people use long random passwords and change them every week,
their reasonable response is to write them on sticky note and stick them
on their screen.  (The security minded stick them under the desk.)
Blaming them for not following rules that make no sense to them is a
complete waste of time.

> The SRV records essentially solve the same issue. But for SRV to be successful, the DNS protocol should be more strict.
> If we would not allow for say, A records at the apex, then people would use SRV instead. Of course, it is too late to disallow A records at the apex — as everyone is convinced by now, that DNS is supposed to work that way.

Actually, plenty of other protocols use SRV, notably SIP.  HTTP is just
special.

R's,
John