[dns-operations] Adding CNAME for the root domain issue

John R Levine johnl at taugh.com
Wed May 4 14:39:30 UTC 2016

> We would not have had this discussion, if people were happy to type
> www.example.com <http://www.example.com/> in their browser, instead of
> example.com <http://example.com/>.

> If enough people were able to say NO, the world would be much better place...

Blaming the users for poor UI design is an ancient tradition in the
computer business, but it's never been very productive.

We also would not have this problem if sometime during the past 20 years
we made our applications use SRV records since it solves nearly all of
the problems that people are trying to address with funky CNAMEs without
putting different names in the UI.

Regards,