[dns-operations] Update on APNIC IPv4 reverse DNS zones validation

Gaurab Raj Upadhaya gaurab at lahai.com
Wed Mar 16 03:48:25 UTC 2016

FYI,

I don't think this was sent here.

-gaurab

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	[apnic-talk] Update on APNIC IPv4 reverse DNS zones validation
Date: 	Wed, 16 Mar 2016 01:41:40 +0000
From: 	Anton Strydom <anton at apnic.net>
To: 	apnic-talk at lists.apnic.net <apnic-talk at lists.apnic.net>

Hi all,

I wanted to provide an update on the problem which affected all APNIC
IPv4 reverse DNS zones.

APNIC was notified via the public DNS operations mailing lists on
Wednesday, 16/03 at 00:30 UTC+10 of a DNSSEC problem which affected all
APNIC IPv4 reverse DNS zones.

During the reverse zone updates, which happened on Tuesday, 15/03 at
09:15 UTC+10, incorrect DS records were used.  Once we became aware of
the problem, the APNIC network operations team began working on
resolving the issue immediately and all zones were corrected by
Wednesday, 16/03 at 02:40 UTC+10.  Due to DNS cache effects, the old
cached data may take time to expire in the public DNS and be replaced
with the new information.

APNIC do have testing scripts to check for this kind of operational
problem; however, in this instance the checks did not detect the issue.
 The team is currently investigating the root cause of this monitoring
failure.

We would like to thank the operations community for reporting the issue
to us.  We recognise this is a significant service outage.

A more detailed service announcement is being compiled and I'll email
the list again with that information once it is completed.  Thanks again
for your patience and apologies for the inconvenience this outage caused.

Regards

Anton

Technical Services Director
APNIC