[dns-operations] reliable dns provider

bert hubert bert.hubert at powerdns.com
Sat Mar 5 21:07:41 UTC 2016

On Sat, Mar 05, 2016 at 11:37:34AM -0800, Mehmet Akcin wrote:
> He will continue to run the master servers from his infrastructure and use
> 3+ dns service providers in a blend to provide authoritative name service

So this I think mirrors Mark Jeftovic's recent wise words - almost no one
is able to provided DoS-proof hosted DNS service for an affordable fee. So
spread out your domains over a mix of suppliers and hope no one takes out
all of them at the same time.

Because your requirements would be easy in a world without DoS. What you are
in fact attempting to order is 'DNS hosting plus DoS protection', which is
what makes it hard to get this affordably.

So perhaps as part of your requirements, you should state what kind of
expectations you have on this front.  How many dozens/hundreds of gigabit/s
do you want to withstand and how often etc.

Your friend probably already has numbers on this.

	Bert