[dns-operations] Checking DHCPv6 status

frnkblk at iname.com frnkblk at iname.com
Sun Mar 6 23:34:29 UTC 2016

I'd like to find a way to remotely check the status of a remote DHCPv6
server (with NAGIOS).  I was able to put together a shell script around
ISC's dhclient to issue an Information Request, but dhclient requires root
access, and when (accidentally) run without command-line parameters, wipes
out your interface settings.  I'd like something that doesn't require root
access and doesn't actually affect any interface's values.

Is anyone aware of a program or script that will issue and process a DHCPv6
Information Requests?

Frank