[dns-operations] DNS error reporting

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Mon Feb 15 22:00:06 UTC 2016

On Fri, Feb 12, 2016 at 7:39 AM Jim Reid <jim at rfc1035.com> wrote:

> > On 12 Feb 2016, at 11:43, George Ross <gdmr at inf.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
> >
> > Can we invent something where the error response is smaller than, or at
> > least not much bigger than, the original request?  It would be as well
> not
> > to provide another DDoS amplifier.
>
> +100

Can someone remind me again what is wrong with simply have a 16 bit error
code, and having this reference an IANA operated registry? The first N
entries could be specification requires, and then the rest could be FCFS -
if you want to have an error code for "I just didn't like the cut of your
jib" you can have an error code for that.