[dns-operations] Percentage of new domains that are "bad"?

Allan Liska allan at allan.org
Mon Feb 15 15:19:52 UTC 2016

I thought I read somewhere that 85% of newly registered domains are "bad" (spam, phishing, delivering malware, etc).  I have been searching all morning and can't find that statistic, the closest I have been able to come is the BlueCoat study from last year (http://www.thedomains.com/2015/09/01/bluecoat-study-top-10-shady-sites-in-new-gtlds-is-severely-flawed-as-unlaunched-zip-is-1/).  Is anyone familiar with the statistic and where it originated or did I imagine the whole thing?

Thanks!

allan