[dns-operations] Error codes or next steps - was Re: DNS at FOSDEM 2016

Edward Lewis edward.lewis at icann.org
Wed Feb 17 01:42:09 UTC 2016

On 2/17/16, 11:36, "Florian Weimer" <fw at deneb.enyo.de> wrote:

>...If your system uses two recursive resolvers,
>both in the same data center, with reasonable monitoring, ...
>On the other hand, if the system uses two servers in different data
>centers, with somewhat different WAN routing...

Or, if the two servers are in the same rack but have different WAN routing
(user to service) but share backend routing - or vice versa - or....;)
Yes it's tricky. Yes I have seen these situations.[0]

I'd claim that there's little a client can assume about the set up of the
recursive server to know how to respond to an error.  A sweeping statement
- for the sanity of server operators, (recursive and authoritative)
raising the predictability of how clients might react to something would
be a good thing.

[0] I'm surprised how many times some researcher will stumble across an
observed oddity that I was able to explain away because I had insight on
to the systems they were measuring.  (Happened again last week.)