[dns-operations] Percentage of new domains that are "bad"?

Rick Wesson rick at support-intelligence.com
Mon Feb 15 17:43:41 UTC 2016

I suspect that you have imagined the statistic. I do keep up with daily new
and deleted registrations. So many of them are crap, they are not bad, just
useless.

Also what is new? You will need to define the timeframe. If your time frame
is < 5 days then I'd say most of the newly registered domains are to test
traffic. If you say new domains are under one year, I'd say some of them
are malicious but it is because of a server compromise.

There are less and less domains registered for malicious intent, the most
popular being botnet DGA C2 infrastructure.

If you had been able to describe the 85% then I might be able to tell you
which paper, but without the context of describing the age range and
clearly defining "bad" I must only believe that you made the statistic up.

-rick