[dns-operations] DNS Flush Protocol

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Fri Mar 27 21:13:36 UTC 2015

On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 4:00 PM, Paul Vixie <paul at redbarn.org> wrote:

> Warren Kumari wrote:
>>
>> I was saying is that we don't really need to reach *every* recursive,
>> whatever we do manage to do will be better than the current position.
>
> i disagree. a solution for the big resolvers will decimate incentive for
> any other solution for all resolvers. we need the weight of the big
> resolvers behind any standard we push in this area.

resimprove was from 2010, CACHE FLUSH is from 2013. Discussions on
flushing caches when bad things happen have been going on for much
much longer than that.

I'd rather see an imperfect solution that anyone can use soon, instead
of hoping that perhaps someone will eventually, maybe solve the issue
sometime in the future.

>> Sure, a fully awesome, all shining, all dancing cache flush solution
>> that can securely flush all caches everywhere would be best, but until
>> this comes along, something, anything really, is better than posting
>> on DNS-Operations.... W
>
> warren, have you read
> <http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-vixie-dnsext-resimprove/> and do
> you have comments?

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/namedroppers/current/msg09903.html

and we had a discussion on another mailing list which was eerily
similar to the above.

> --
> Paul Vixie

idea in the first place.