[dns-operations] DNS Flush Protocol

Paul Vixie paul at redbarn.org
Fri Mar 27 20:08:04 UTC 2015

George Michaelson wrote:
> I would agree that assumptions are a road to perdition.
>
> But the model of concentration of eyeballs through resolvers is not
> new. So, whilst I agree in *principle* I think it bears thinking
> about: do you actually really expect a disruptive (sea)change  here?

yes. or i wouldn't have worked on RPZ. the DNS resolution path is a huge
component of internet autonomy, and it is under powerful attack by both
corporations and governments around the world, for censorship,
surveillance, and commerce purposes. to regain control of their own
internet experience and to protect their privacy against upstream
wiretapping, many enterprises of all sizes and many "power users" are
going to move back to a private resolver model. we should do nothing in
this WG that makes that movement less attractive, such as creating a DNS
cache purge model that requires registration, subscription, or a
clearinghouse.

--
Paul Vixie