[dns-operations] Trying - Re: Fwd: Re: [Security] Glue or not glue?

Edward Lewis edward.lewis at icann.org
Wed Jun 10 11:07:09 UTC 2015

On 6/9/15, 20:29, "Mark E. Jeftovic" <markjr at easydns.com> wrote:

>But I don't see it happening.

(Caution - this all soapbox jibber-jabber:)

http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/854398-trying-is-the-first-step-towards-fai
lure

“Trying is the first step towards failure” -- Homer Simpson

http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0000015/quotes

"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Both characters are right.

The context is "some kind of name server operator protocol where ops can
have some degree of control over entities that get delegated to them."
That would be a good thing to have, I agree.

I am jumping on the pessimism of this never happening.  A dynamic I have
to deal with in the DNS hosting industry (of which I was part of) is that
operators tend to not share and give up too easily because the standards
process is too onerous.  I know because I've done that.  I was once told
"we are capitalists, not here to help our competition."

I'm in a different place now, a place where standards matter in policy
making, and thus matter more so than in operations.  When an operational
issue came up recently, the first question given back to the operators was
"what exactly do you want to do?"  The operators had expressed a problem
and why the existing set of policies in place made their business
difficult/impossible/costly to run but lacked a clear enough solution to
be used to alter the policies in their way.

That's when I realized that not collaborating on a proposed
engineering-based solution was a mistake.  Yes, such "speculative
engineering" is an overhead cost but until something comes out of the
wash, the industry will sit in the same muck and mire.