[dns-operations] Live-streaming the Root Zone Key-Signing Key Ceremony 22

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Thu Aug 13 15:15:24 UTC 2015

On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 11:23 PM, Kim Davies <kim.davies at icann.org> wrote:
> Hi,

>> I'm on that list; the last pre-announcement was for KSK Ceremony 19,
>> last November, with 8 days notice.  There's no notice for Ceremony 20,
>> just an after-the-fact mail of the materials.  For 21, there was two
>> months notice.  For 22, one day's notice.
>>
>> I've just checked the mailman list archives, in case messages went
>> astray.  Nope, I have them all.
>>
>> So while the intent seems good, Warren and Matthew's points remain valid
>> as there was no advance notice this time and the behaviour is wildly
>> inconsistent.
>
> We are probably suffering a little bit from having too many lists. We maintain a different list, root-ksk-ceremony,

Ah. Well, there we go then... this seems to be *exactly* what I was
looking for -- seeing as there were a number of folk also kvetching
about the lack of announcements, I'm guessing other folk also didn't
know about this list...

For easy signup:
root-ksk-ceremony at icann.org
or
https://mm.icann.org/mailman/listinfo/root-ksk-ceremony

> and we sent 3-, 2- and 1-month notices for this coming ceremony there on May 13th, June 15th, and July 17th respectively.

Perfect. Thank you.

> For future ceremonies we will make a point to send these to root-dnssec-announce also, and if the members here want them sent to this list too as well we can do that also. I don’t want to flood operational or announcement lists with too many notifications, particularly for routine events like these, given there is probably a lot of overlap of membership and interest in it is likely fairly limited.

Yup - I think that those who care can subscribe to root-ksk-ceremony.
If you also send a "This is happening today / tomorrow" email, perhaps
jsut include a pointer to root-ksk-ceremony ?