[dns-operations] different dns servers for different domains.

Jim Popovitch jimpop at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 22:23:35 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 5:56 PM, Edward Peschko <horos11 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I mean, really, how complicated is control-flow logic? I can stuff all
> the hosts in question that I need into /etc/hosts for lookup, but that
> seems pretty barbaric, and it would be nice to have a solution that
> could be done locally rather than requiring network support.

As someone else mentioned, you need/want dnsmasq.  Dnsmasq is well
documented and quite painless and simple to provide split DNS for a
local network or laptop.  I've used it before to point internal corp
lookups to internal DNS (based solely on *.domain.tld) and all other
queries to 8.8.8.8.   Dnsmasq will also watch /etc/hosts and
/etc/resolv.conf for changes, and make automatic adjustments as
needed.

-Jim P.