[dns-operations] different dns servers for different domains.

Robert Edmonds edmonds at mycre.ws
Fri Jul 11 22:31:56 UTC 2014

Edward Peschko wrote:
> hmm. that seems a bit more involved to me than what I'm looking for. I
> don't control the remote name servers in question.
>
> When you type, e.g. ping www.yahoo.com, it isn't too many steps away
> from doing a lookup based off resolv.conf. Hell, in fact it is *one*
> step AFAICT, after hostname lookup via /etc/hosts.
>
> I mean, really, how complicated is control-flow logic? I can stuff all
> the hosts in question that I need into /etc/hosts for lookup, but that
> seems pretty barbaric, and it would be nice to have a solution that
> could be done locally rather than requiring network support.

You didn't specify what OS you're using.  (Since you mention /etc/, it's
probably not Windows.)

OS X with its "multi-client" resolver is the only stub resolver I know
of that has this functionality built-in.  If you want this functionality
on other systems you have to install a local DNS server like Unbound and
configure a "forward zone".

--
Robert Edmonds