[dns-operations] DNS Attack over UDP fragmentation

kato at wide.ad.jp kato at wide.ad.jp
Wed Sep 4 15:09:17 UTC 2013

Folks,

A few years ago, I had an informal conversation with Dr. Vixie, and he
mentioned he could work a little bit more on DNS level fragmentation
(protocol modification required, however).

At a glance, we may use EDNS0 variable part to represent DNS level
fragmentation information as well as additional bits of extended ID,
etc. There may be much better modifications.

When these are defined, implemented, and deployed, all DNS messages
can be sent with DF=1 or IPv6 fragmentation option can be
deprecated. The question is deployment, while it may be easier to use
DNSSEC as operators may just upgrade the software. Even now, only 2/3
queries to one of the Root DNS servers are with EDNS0...

-- Akira Kato, WIDE Project