[dns-operations] getting .CW recognised in the Google ccTLD tables/databases ...

Joe Abley jabley at hopcount.ca
Mon Jan 21 00:28:13 UTC 2013

On 2013-01-21, at 11:55, .CW Registry Curacao <registry at una.net> wrote:

> I am not sure this is an issue that you can do anything about, however we have been advised by our colleagues from the ccNSO (ICANN) to send you this email message.
>
> We need some help with getting our ccTLD registered worldwide.
> Several Internet services sites cannot be used by our customers, because the .CW is not recognized.
> In our case it prevents us as university to make use of (for instance) Google Apps.

There are google people on this list who (if they haven't already contacted you about it) will no doubt be happy to help you out with that specific problem, in their normal efficient way.

More generally, there are many people who make assumptions about what a valid domain name is. A common example (I find) can be found in web forms which validate e-mail addresses. I can't even remember the number of times I was told that jabley at ca.afilias.info was invalid when I was working for Afilias, which always struck me as pleasantly ironic, especially when the web forms in question were provided by people trying to sell us stuff.

There's no central registry for broken human expectations of how the DNS works. You pretty much need to just get used to complaining to the people who provide individual broken services when you find them.

Joe