[dns-operations] Enom's name server broken?

Mike Jones mike at mikejones.in
Wed Jan 16 01:41:09 UTC 2013

On 15 January 2013 22:19, Matthew Ghali <mghali at snark.net> wrote:
> TBH I've never even thought to have that expectation from a registrar; and in fact I'd never assume they do the "right" thing. My first domain registrar was the Internic, which probably explains the low bar. Many years later, working at a registrar (on a hosted DNS product!) only reinforced my beliefs.
>
> In an ideal world, you'd get exactly what you pay for. In reality you get less. Most people are definitely not paying for inter-provider coordination and a seamless service cutover. Heck, they're paying barely enough for service that answers *most* queries.

Some registrars would probably argue 1 DNS server occasionally being
up was good enough to meet their obligations for the "free" (meaning
included in the price and you pay for it if you use it or not) service
if past experience is anything to go by.

but there's a difference between "not 100% reliable" which is
acceptable to use on domains that aren't very important and "we'll
hijack your traffic to our landing page if you try to migrate away
from us" which I don't think is acceptable even for the least
important domains I have.

- Mike