[dns-operations] DNS ANY requests / UltraDNS

Chris Thompson cet1 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Jan 10 17:17:43 UTC 2013

On Jan 10 2013, Tony Finch wrote:

>Chris Thompson <cet1 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>> On Jan 10 2013, Tony Finch wrote:
>> >
>> > NSD I'm not sure about since the root servers that run NSD send
>> > minimal truncated responses to ANY queries, and I don't know of other
>> > handy NSD servers to test.
>>
>> The don't look like "minimal truncated responses" to me.
>
>Did you try E K or L which run NSD? They sem to need an EDNS buffer size
>of at least 788 bytes before they will return anything in the answer
>section.

Ah, you seem to be right. But given that they do return 788 bytes or more
(with TC set) when the ENDS buffer size is large enough, this seems to be
an accident of just how the truncated responses are generated, rather than
some deliberate attempt to generate truly minimal ones.

--
Chris Thompson               University of Cambridge Computing Service,
Email: cet1 at ucs.cam.ac.uk    New Museums Site, Cambridge CB2 3QH,