[dns-operations] DNS ANY requests / UltraDNS

Chris Thompson cet1 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Jan 10 16:31:12 UTC 2013

On Jan 10 2013, Tony Finch wrote:

>Florian Weimer <fw at deneb.enyo.de> wrote:
>>
>> This will still break things because prior to the change, large
>> authoritative ANY responses are truncated without setting TC=1.
>
>That isn't true for BIND or ATLAS. NSD I'm not sure about since the
>root servers that run NSD send minimal truncated responses to ANY
>queries, and I don't know of other handy NSD servers to test.

The don't look like "minimal truncated responses" to me. The answer
sections are not empty, even if +noedns is used, and with edns one
can get at least 1140-byte responses (with TC set) out of all the root
servers that I tried.

To me, a minimal truncated response is one with at most the question
section non-empty.

--
Chris Thompson               University of Cambridge Computing Service,
Email: cet1 at ucs.cam.ac.uk    New Museums Site, Cambridge CB2 3QH,