[dns-operations] DNS ANY requests / UltraDNS

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Thu Jan 10 12:24:48 UTC 2013

Florian Weimer <fw at deneb.enyo.de> wrote:

> This will still break things because prior to the change, large
> authoritative ANY responses are truncated without setting TC=1.

That isn't true for BIND or ATLAS. NSD I'm not sure about since the
root servers that run NSD send minimal truncated responses to ANY
queries, and I don't know of other handy NSD servers to test.

; <<>> DiG 9.9.2-vjs340.03-P1 <<>> +noedns +norec +ignore any cam.ac.uk @131.111.8.37
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa tc; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 3, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

; <<>> DiG 9.9.2-vjs340.03-P1 <<>> +noedns +norec +ignore any . @a.root-servers.net
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa tc; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 15, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

; <<>> DiG 9.9.2-vjs340.03-P1 <<>> +noedns +norec +ignore any . @k.root-servers.net
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa tc; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

> Some breakage is unavoidable.  Considering that ANY queries rarely
> give the results expected by the sender, refusing them outright makes
> sense to me.

Authoritative servers should give the expected results to ANY queries.
Caches, not so much.

Tony.
Forties, Cromarty: East, veering southeast, 4 or 5, occasionally 6 at first.
Rough, becoming slight or moderate. Showers, rain at first. Moderate or good,
occasionally poor at first.