[dns-operations] DNS ANY requests / UltraDNS

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Thu Jan 10 14:11:47 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 02:39:58PM +0100, Miek Gieben wrote:
> [ Quoting bert hubert at 14:10 on January 10 in "Re: [dns-operations] DNS ANY reques"... ]
> > On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 08:11:24AM +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
> > > Some breakage is unavoidable.  Considering that ANY queries rarely
> > > give the results expected by the sender, refusing them outright makes
> > > sense to me.
> >
> > For queries to authoritive servers, the result of an ANY query is very well
> > defined and useful.
>
> A agree with the rest of your mail, but I have to ask. To which document
> do you refer if you say "the result of an ANY query is very well defined"?

>From 1034, 3.7.1:

<any type>      matches just that type. (e.g., A, PTR).
..
*               matches all RR types.

>From 1035, 3.2.3:
*               255 A request for all records

>From 1034, 4.3.2:

   3. Start matching down, label by label, in the zone.  The
      matching process can terminate several ways:
(...)

            Otherwise, copy all RRs which match QTYPE into the
            answer section and go to step 6.

What do you think an 'ANY' query to an authoritative server would mean?

	Bert

--
PowerDNS Website: http://www.powerdns.com/
PowerDNS Community Website: http://wiki.powerdns.com/