[dns-operations] Capturing 8.8.8.8 Traffic

Ryan Rawdon ryan at u13.net
Wed Feb 27 01:21:04 UTC 2013

On Feb 25, 2013, at 11:46 AM, Carlos M. Martinez wrote:

> On principle I would hate my ISP messing around with my traffic,
> regardless of any good intentions.
>
> regards,
>
> ~Carlos

I whole-heartedly agree, which is why it did not sit well with me that Verizon Wireless is (on their 3G networks) capturing 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.  They are stripping out AAAA answers to any queries.  Queries sent to one of these address actually were broken, since VZW's middlebox doing this responded with the incorrect source address.  So not only were they intercepting queries to Google/L3's address space, they were mangling with them and breaking one of the resolvers entirely.  I confirmed that they are not doing this with any other resolvers I could find/test, 53/udp in general was not meddled with *except* for 8.8.4.4 and 8.8.8.8

I wrote this up when I first discovered it ~2 years ago, I have since switched mobile carriers but would love to know if anyone can test and see if the same behavior is in place currently.

Details:
http://tns.u13.net/?p=153